Wednesday, January 27, 2016

SEPHORA RANT!!


This blogpost will serve as the introduction to what my project is trying, keyword trying, to tackle.


I’m unmasking the mask behind my clients at Sephora. I’m going into the life of a client that I don’t know, nor do I necessarily want to know their background. I’m just imaging based on a conversation that I have heard, and been a part of and reacted to and experienced and had to react to a scenario that made me question what this girl’s life is really like outside of the walls of Sephora. I’m diving into what I think her life would be based on my cultural experience and knowledge of the beauty industry and its effects on the coming generations of the world, but with a gay man’s twist.

Within the world of retail exists a world of frustration and anger that resides within the employee.  Sometimes thanks to the retailer that you work for, sometimes because of the sheer idiocy that one has to put up with from time to time.  


an retail employee probably wrote this drunk or high, or both

A retail store is a space that welcomes anyone and everyone; the store doors do not discriminate.  My method of coping often involves deconstructing specific interactions and moments of shock, stupidity, what be it. Often it takes place at a bar with a few beers with friends that also work the retail scene, and also down for making a mockey of whatever happened that day.


My goal here is to document short little insights into the world of retail that is often seen through gifs on Buzzfeed articles, but rarely seen in the real. Or is it the hyperreal?

see what I mean?

Ultimately, I want something that I can look back on that will remind me to never work retail again.  And that's real enough for me.

2 comments:

  1. I thought you captured the snapchat medium very well! The monologue was pretty hilarious. I think this is a great idea for a project and hope you take it further!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Getting across an experience so succinctly and hilariously is quite the challenge, you executed it on the perfect medium too. I loved it, and think it would make an interesting succession to keep going with short videos!

    ReplyDelete

play nice :)