Monday, January 25, 2016

An Unnamed Need for Beauty

Angus hard at work!

Friday night's gallery opening was a welcome sight for eyes that deal with all things beauty on the daily. Professor Tilghman encouraged us to look at the details of the beautiful collections, with an emphasis on texture and surface. As an artist, texture is one of my favorite components of a piece, regardless of the artist's choice of medium. I feel that if an artist is able to manipulate and incorporate texture in a new and exciting manner, I'm a happy and satisfied attendee! Ability to manipulate texture and create something new has always been of high interest to me, and I definitely was able to experience something truly breathtaking at the show with the insanely perfect arrangement of insects that we were met with upon entrance of the space.



I was immediately intrigued and stunned by the sheer beauty of Jennifer Angus' installation of wallpaper patterned insects. In her artist statement, she states that she hopes top take the adult viewer back to the magic pull that insects had on us as children. Although I never really bought into the magic of insects as a kid, obviously opting for Barbie and Ken dolls instead, as an adult I undeniably felt the magic of her use of color, texture, and pattern. I have to say that Angus was successful with her mission because I walked into the front room and immediately had an ear-to-ear smile plastered onto my face. After getting over the initial shock/fascination of her masterful patterned arrangement, one can truly dig into the beauty of what Angus has set forth before us.



Don't they look like they're sleeping so nicely?

No comments:

Post a Comment

play nice :)