Sunday, May 11, 2014

Vivian Maier | De-mystifying the Photog

On Thursday, May 1st, we were fortunate enough to attend a lecture by Pamela Bannos concerning the found photos of Vivian Maier, French/American photographer and live-in nanny.  Bannos describes her not as a nanny photographer, but a photographer who happened to be a nanny.

Vivian Maier in her signature selfie style.
The mystery and herstory surrounding her photographs is one of intrigue, fascination, and excitement, much like those mystery shows one watches late at night when flipping through channels. Throughout the lecture,  I couldn't help but wonder if Bannos was going to pull a "Punk'd" and tell us that she was actually Vivian Maier in the flesh.

What struck me most from Bannos' lecture was how influential social media was in Maier's rise to posthumous fame.  Through the internet and her crazy mad researching skills, she was able to amass a vast amount of knowledge that aided her in piecing together not only Vivian Maier's history.  She was even able to study Maier's photographic thought process with Google Maps by tracking her movement while taking photos in the streets of NYC.  As a said, Bannos has some maaaaad researching skills, albeit she seems a tad bit obsessed.

Overall, Bannos' lecture was a refreshing change of pace from the normal lectures that we attend.  Thank you Pamela Bannos!

2 comments:

  1. I would like to start off by saying that in my post I was basically saying the opposite. But after reading your blog and your reply to my post, I realize the "context" of an artist makes their art more valuable. I was looking at it front he perspective that she is gone unfortunately, so why should we try to create a character out of someone who we don't even know for sure? But after reading your consideration, I realize how understanding her and her work is better than just looking at her art and letting the picture stand alone. Understanding her helps the viewer to understand her art, therefore it makes our experience of the art potentially better; I agree. Maybe it was because I wasn't able to experience the lecture that I have remained slightly unmoved by the mystery of who she was as a person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your perspective is refreshing for me! and I think piecing up an artist and her work are of great meaning in maier"s case, since she was silent all that years. Because afterall art exists because they last and they are the only prove of one's spirit.

    ReplyDelete

play nice :)