Monday, February 17, 2014

Because You're Worth It?

You may be tired of my cosmetic and beauty approach to everything in this class, but you'll learn to love it ;)

My goal with this project was to highlight the beauty ads that we are bombarded with in our day and age.  Like most companies do, all of the major cosmetic retailers have taglines and slogans that they employ to help set their company apart from the competition.

Maybe she's born with it. Maybe it's Maybelline.

Never Dries - it Beautifies!




With the introduction of TV and radio ad spots, companies now have the chance to drill their slogans into our heads relentlessly.  These days when we walk past their products in stores, chances are we're going to be singing their jingle in our heads while simultaneously being annoyed that they were able to get their silly slogan engrained in our brains.  It's almost as if "everyone [is] psychologically attuned to memorization" in an aural sense (McLuhan 113).  Actually, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what's happening.  Although everyone has their preferred or most effective method of learning whether it's visually, orally, or tactile, oral methods of memorization are almost always effective.  There is something about the rhythm of sounds and words that our brains automatically tune into, so hearing a slogan over and over again is no doubt going to cause it to stick with us. Oh, and this is all in the hopes that you'll buy their products forever and ever and ever... because you're totally worth the advertising money they spent.  Right? Right.

My soundscape was focused on the repetitive nature of a few cosmetic company's slogans. I wanted to string together repeated slogans in a way that was harmonious to my ear, but somewhat disrupted by the odd placement of some of the repetitions so that the listener wouldn't necessarily be inclined to naturally internalize the slogan.  I hope you enjoy!







2 comments:

  1. Ariel,

    I really enjoyed your soundscape. I thought you effectively captured make up advertisements in a drilling matter. My favorite part of the soundscape in is the woman mentioning the beauty and naturalness of make up in the end in your infused electronic synthesizing of the ads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ariel,

    I really enjoyed your soundscape project! In our society we are constantly bombarded with an overwhelming amount of advertisements. I find myself tuning out commercials on TV and completely disregarding visual ads online or in magazines because there are so many that it is overstimulating. The repetition of all these different makeup ads and slogans in your project reminded me of this feeling I get. I think you were able to capture the feelings of stress people feel when they are constantly encouraged to buy so many different products.

    ReplyDelete

play nice :)