Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Primers first!

In the world of makeup, a smart makeup artist always applies a moisturizer and primer to the skin before any makeup at all. As Elle Woods put it, "The rules of hair care are simple and finite. Any Cosmo girl would have known." I'd like to think of this post acting as my primer for the class.

Bruiser Woods would agree.

My name is Ariel Garcia and I tend to resolve to the world of fashion, makeup, cosmetics, or anything beauty related I can drown myself in.  I'm a budding makeup artist intent on shattering the stigma concerning makeup and its use by everyday people.  My initial obsession with makeup stemmed from my younger years as a boy growing up in a southern Pentecostal church.  I would stare at the beautiful singers on stage and admire them for the pounds of makeup they loaded onto their faces to look pretty for Jesus.  I wanted to look pretty for Jesus, too!

Ain't I so pretty now, momma?
It was not until I moved to Appleton for college that I was able to escape the suffocating smothering of the southern Jesus I came to know in my adolescent and teenage years.  I was finally free to buy all of the makeup in the world and consequently become not only a poor college student, but a pretty one too.

I call it... Hobo glitter brow chic...
I would like for this blog to serve as an extension of my artistic palette, primarily because it seems that the cosmetics and beauty industries have taken such a large interest in how the everyday consumer is affected by more than just advertisements, but the increasingly popular "beauty blogs and gurus."  I find the relationship between the cosmetics consumer and technology to be incredibly fascinating and, unfortunately, vastly under-studied by artists.  I hope to explore and exploit this dynamic in the coming months with this blog.

PS - I am a proud selfie enthusiast.

12 comments:

  1. I'm so excited that you are in this class, I've always thought your work was beautiful and I hope I get to see more of your art first hand :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Steven!! your compliment means a lot to me! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Selfie enthusiat,

    I'm very excited to follow your blog and how you represent your make up style through new media. I've always been interested in the art of make up -because it's one of those subtle arts you only see behind the scenes in film - and I can't wait to see what versatile looks you can create. I have a question for you -- you mentioned that make-up artistry is under-studied by artist. What aspect of make-up would you like to highlight to artists? The application process? Choosing certain colors to effectively make a look?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo good question. I'd like to somehow highlight the role that technology is starting to take in the world of cosmetics. In the past few years, "beauty gurus" on YouTube and beauty blogs have really taken the Internet by storm, largely influencing the ways that consumers have begun to not only inform their decisions when they go to buy new products, but also in how they develop their own artistry too. I'm not an expert on this by any means, but I believe that makeup has largely been an art learned from watching your mom, grandma, or whoever was around to show you the ropes. Fast forward to today, and now there are twelve and thirteen year old girls giving their own YouTube makeup tutorials, or at least trying to. ;)

      Now going back to informed decisions in the shopping process, more and more people are discovering the higher end brands of makeup that were once reserved for professionals working on tv/movie sets, on theater stages, and fashion shows. In return, more and more professional makeup companies are starting to market their products for the everyday gal or guy, which means that more people are being exposed to the real artists behind the new and current makeup trends that trickle down into the consumer marketplace. And not only are they being exposed to true artisty, but they're getting interested and starting to try it out on themselves which I think is pretty awesome when you think about it. Who was the one that wanted the Kim Kardashian glow for the formal they were attending? Go back a few steps, and who was the one that innovated the now infamous Kim K glow? Well, a makeup artist! And what do you get when you search "Kim Kardashian makeup tutorial?" Hundreds, if not thousands, of YouTube videos or beauty blog posts giving step-by-step tutorials of how to do it.

      All that to say, the exchange happening between professional makeup artists and everyday people through technology is fascinating to me. So that's kinda what I want to study. Now how to relate it to my art is a whole other question... hahaha

      Delete
  4. I would love to work with your make-up talents during this class. I love make-up but have never been able to work with it. Your use of the materials is amazing.

    P.S. I'm glad you are now able to feel more at home with who you are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jade :) it took many years of soul searching and finding who I am, but I'm glad to say I'm in a good place now. I'd love to collab with makeup!

      Delete
  5. I admire your ability to be able to say that its been a passion since you were young. I have always been interested but I didn't realize I was interested in art until High school. I wish I could say that I can recognize where this love came from like you can, so I'd just like to say I admire that about you. Also you're amazing at looking pretty and makeup from what I've seen so far. I am excited to see everything you'll accomplish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thanks Chris! I always enjoyed seeing your projects in Studio Art last term, hopefully this term is even better :)

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love, love, love! Cannot wait to see the senior show...and follow this blog as well! And what a beautiful way to unfold your artistic talent and passion. You are and artist AND storyteller.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. I am an avid subscriber of "beauty gurus" on YouTube and commented on that in my own post, so I too appreciate the art of makeup. It's so fun to watch the transformation. I also like your analogy of the primer applying to this post being the precursor for the course. I put on moisturizer and primer before I put on my makeup as well :)
    By the way, I want your brows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all about the transformations! And thank you! You're too sweet :)

      Delete

play nice :)