Friday, January 31, 2014

Lauren Semivan | Shaping an Artisan Lifestyle

Lauren Semivan is a Lawremce alum that visited our digital processes class earlier this week to talk about her life after graduation. Like me, she was formerly in the LU Conservatory but made the transition to the college to pursue interests in the studio art department. I'm so glad to know I'm not the only one! Life can be such a drag in the conservatory at times.. Kidding. ;)

Typical life of a music major... I wish I was kidding. 
Semivan's husband, Lorne, also joined us in our meeting with the artist, telling us about his 60-90 minute treks through Alaskan tundra just for water.  Can you imagine? I can't. Well, enough of these polar vortexes we've been having and maybe I can.



While Lauren's deft capabilities with photography were visually captivating and beautifully composed, I was mostly drawn to her philosophy about how she strives to live her life, "setting [herself] up for stimulating and life-long learning."  I love how versatile and applicable this philosophy is towards any lifestyle route we choose to take in our lives.  Personally, I've been trying to apply this outlook towards my own life for the past few years and am comforted to know that it's possible for Lawrence grads.  As a young artist coming into my own, I often worry about what my artistic environment will look like after I leave Lawrence.

Lauren expanded on this philosophy by explaining the inspiration behind the subject matter of a portion of her photography. While visiting her husband Lorne while he was working in Nome, Alaska, she found herself pushing her comfort zone by exploring the vast landscape the isolated city had to offer.  Although I probably won't be trekking through Alaskan lands anytime soon, I hope that I'll be afforded the opportunities to pursue art that pushes my artistic comfort zones as well. Life is much too short to spend it behind walls. Like Lauren, I strive to mold a life that provides endless opportunities to create art and further evolve my style and aesthetic.

3 comments:

  1. I think you make a great point. We've already had a few opportunities at Lawrence itself where we were able to pursue art that pushed our artistic comfort zones, but taking that to the real world would be a whole new experience and a risk I would be thrilled to take! Perhaps even with you :) I'm sure after you graduate, and AGarCC becomes a high-end makeup brand, you will, instead of looking for opportunities, be able to create them for yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ariel

    I also really connected with Lauren's philosophy about life and her desire to have stimulating experiences that could push her as an artist. Often times I find that as an artist, I am most inspired when I go places and experience different things. Sometimes it is hard to find these opportunities (like you said, not everyone is willing to or has a good reason to move to Alaska) but I think the important thing is that you are actively doing and seeing things that are new and can push you to think differently. I totally agree with you in that her philosophy is applicable to life outside of just art. I strongly believe that our experiences shape us and allow us to grow more than anything else and that throughout our lives, it is important to have numerous different experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ariel,

    I agree with you on her philosophy of an 'alternative' lifestyle. However, if you think about it, is she really living an 'alternative' lifestyle or just being herself as an artist? I think a lot of artists second guess themselves and their artwork because it isn't a lifestyle that others think isn't 'sustainable' or different from the white collar/blue collar folk. I think you and Lauren have a common ground of following your heart on what your goals as an artist is the future and look, she turned out being pretty successful so I hope you follow your dreams in make up as well :-).

    ReplyDelete

play nice :)